Horticulture/Nettles

Question
Hello,

I know that it is possible (and healthy) to eat nettle leaves. But is there any part of the nettle that is toxic (stem, roots, flowers) ? I ask this because it would take less time to cook a whole nettle than to pick all the young leaves.

Thank you in advance and have a nice day.

Pierre

Answer
Hi Pierre,

No part of Urtica dioica is toxic, however the roots might be too fibrous to cook with the rest of the plant.  You could just snip the ends off with a pair of scissors.
My favorite way to prepare them is as mock asparagus soup.  I boil them in chicken stock or broth, then puree' them in the blender.  I use half the stock they were cooked in, add chicken broth, half and half or cream, sherry and curry powder, shallots, and salt and pepper to taste.  It's delicious, and people are incredulous when I tell them it's stinging nettles.
Thanks,
Susan

Horticulture

Susan Tabor