Horticulture/potato toxicity

Question
As a fellow Expert, I know that this might be beyond you knowledge, but I know that the potato plant contains toxins, and have been told uyou shouldn't eat the sprouts on a potato, but do you know if the sprouts are actually toxic? If the potato itself is not toxic, how could the sprouts growing from it be toxic? This question came to me after someone asked me if she could expect her pet rat to have problems after eating a potato eye. Thanks.

Answer
Like you I have always been told the sprouts are toxic. I found this information. I have no direct knowledge of this. Sorry for the delay. Feel free to contact me directly and I will try to answer questions.
Dale@softley.com
Dale Softley

Potato sprouts are considered toxic due to their potentially high concentration of glycoalkaloids, which can exert their toxic effects on the nervous system by interfering with the body's ability to regulate acetylcholine, a chemical responsible for conducting nerve impulses. Aug 30, 2011

Horticulture

Dale Softley