Horticulture/potato toxicity

As a fellow Expert, I know that this might be beyond you knowledge, but I know that the potato plant contains toxins, and have been told uyou shouldn't eat the sprouts on a potato, but do you know if the sprouts are actually toxic? If the potato itself is not toxic, how could the sprouts growing from it be toxic? This question came to me after someone asked me if she could expect her pet rat to have problems after eating a potato eye. Thanks.

Like you I have always been told the sprouts are toxic. I found this information. I have no direct knowledge of this. Sorry for the delay. Feel free to contact me directly and I will try to answer questions.
Dale Softley

Potato sprouts are considered toxic due to their potentially high concentration of glycoalkaloids, which can exert their toxic effects on the nervous system by interfering with the body's ability to regulate acetylcholine, a chemical responsible for conducting nerve impulses. Aug 30, 2011

Dale Softley

General crop production, pesticides

Forensic Agronomist. Consulting Agronomist for 30 year

American Society of Agronomy

BS Agronomy, Range Science