Hospice Care/Patient died

karen wrote at 2013-08-31 18:12:13
your answer is just protecting the hospice.The daughter had every right to be informed about meds given to her mother.I have been through the same thing with mother hospice killed her with meds,she went from sitting in her recliner one hour to coma in bed the next hour.The nurse went to her car brought 2 syringes of meds in and said,I don't want her out of the bed anymore gave her the meds from the syringes and said don't be surprised if you cannot get her to respond to you in the morning.My mom was in a coma an hour later,if the nurse did not know what the meds would do why say don't be surprised if you cannot get her to respond to you in the morning.hospice nurses know exactly what they are doing they train for it.

Tim Smith wrote at 2014-03-11 17:37:18

Hospice Care

Christine Johnson

I can give suggestions, encouragement and direction on what hospice is and is not, when it is appropriate, and how to go about getting it. I am familiar with Medicaid and Medicare hospice benefits. I can answer general questions about disease process, what dying looks like, how hospice handles pain and other symptoms, what to expect from a hospice when end of life nears. I can provide support, direction and encouragement related to spiritual matters and psychological matters related to death and dying.

I am a certified hospice and palliative care nurse, and have been the director of nurses for three hospice centers, under two different companies. I have also worked as a contract hospice nurse for a large American hospice company. On a personal level, my father died without benefit of hospice (it was not popular then). I have taken care of dying patients in hospitals and recognize that for most of us, it is preferable to die at home (or in our residence, wherever that may be), comfortably and without anxiety. Also I had no support when my father died; hospice clients are the whole family (however that is defined by the "patient"), and support is provided at least a year after the patient passes. These are the sorts of things (and probably others) that I can help with.

HPNA (Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association)

none yet

Registered Nurse (TX), Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (TX) ADN Nursing, Excelsior College, Albany, New York (2004) 4.0 GPA BA, Psychology (minor Social Work), Oklahoma University, Norman, OK (1986) 3.67 GPA MHR (MA) Human Relations, Oklahoma University, Norman, OK (1988) 3.5 GPA

Phi Beta Kappa (and others)

Unable to name as this would violate their privacy (and HIPAA....)