Hospice Care/Morphine as Bronchial dilator

someone wrote at 2013-10-16 18:04:43
I found my way here googling morphine+dilate+lungs because my mother's hospice nurse wants to start her on morphine, even though she's not in pain. She too says that it will help her breathing, which seems pretty counterintuitive to me, as I've always understood all opiates to depress respiration. My mother's not even having that much trouble breathing. She's on supplemental oxygen, but only occasionally short of breath. She has a terrible cough, but the nurse didn't say that the morphine would help that. She's also weak and confused and miserable and ready to die.

My mother is not in a state with legal assisted suicide. My suspicion is that the nurse is giving a bogus reason for starting the morphine in order to give us the means to help her go.  

Hospice Care

Christine Johnson