can you receive hospice care while taking avastin?

Hello Linda

Yes you can be on hospice and take Avastin. The hospice can't dictate to you what medications you can and can't take. You might have a problem with billing though. It depends on the type of insurance you have but there is a possibility that the Avastin won't be covered once you have elected your hospice benefit. Your hospice benefit pays for medications related to your terminal diagnosis but Avastin is considered aggressive/curative so there is a contradiction between comfort measures (hospice) and curative measures (Avastin).  So its highly likely that the Avastin will have to be purchased by you and paid for out of pocket.  If the hospice tries to tell you you can't be on the medication and be on hospice keep looking because its a gray area and you can find an agency that will allow both.  Make sure you let the hospice know that using their company is contingent upon you being able to continue the medication and if they say no you will go with another agency.  You need to be prepared to pay for the Avastin so I would investigate the cost before you make a final decision.  Best of luck to you.  

Hospice Care

Sydney Humphrey

I can answer, provide information, recommend resources or offer examples relating to the majority of hospice, end of life care, death and dying, pain management and palliative care questions. My role in this forum is to provide help to others in the form of information and education.

My love for hospice started when I was honored with an opportunity to become a volunteer at age 15. My assignments varied from sitting with patients to house cleaning. Within six months I decided hospice was always going to be part of my life. I continued to volunteer while acquiring my Certified Nursing Assistant credentials. Once licensed I then began to work as a CNA for the same hospice agency. I applied to Nursing school with the intent on becoming a hospice nurse. During school I worked as a CNA and continued to volunteer. Upon graduation I secured a position as a Hospice Case Manager immediately. I loved that job and am proud to say I have had the honor of sharing the journey to a peaceful death with over 100 patients and their families. It has made me a better person in every way possible. I eventually moved up the career ladder and starting from the bottom in this industry has given me a unique perspective and allows me to have a higher level of understanding and compassion. I am now an Executive Administrator for a large hospice agency and incredibly happy with my career choice and current position but I do miss the hands on care that was such a big part of my life. As an Administrator I am able to mentor nurses that are new to the field and have watched awareness and respect for this industry grow and thrive.

National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization Utah Nurses Association

I am a Certified Hospice and Paliative Care Nurse. I am certified to provide continuing education courses for health care professionals.