Hospice Care/Foley usage in the Hospice Patient

Christine Johnson wrote at 2013-12-10 15:00:58
There is no loss of dignity with competent conscientious and compassionate care, even management of bladder and bowel issues.  The medical director appears to have some embarassment issues of his or her own.

There is no dignity in lying on one's own urine or being so uncomfortable unable to obtain relief that even in a less than conscious state, there is restlessness.

The medical director's policy constitutes abuse and neglect.  If there is no change, I strongly encourage a call to adult protective services and Joint Commission.  The medical director will not listen to nurses, common sense, compassion or medical science (e.g., evidence based practice), perhaps the authorities can get through to him (or her).

Thank you for your letter.  I had no idea that sort of poor care existed at the level of medical directors.  Your advocacy is admirable.

Hospice Care

Jan Reeves