Hospice Care/Physical therapy being stopped by POA

Question
My mom is currently in a hospice program but is being evaluated to be released after suffering two mini strokes and developing AFIB.  We had PT coming to her house to strengthen to leg that was affected by stroke and was getting very close to walking and currently being considered not needing hospice care anymore because she has improved so much.  My brother is power of attorney and has cancelled her PT for what we feel are not for her best interest. Can her do this?

Answer
Dear Dianna,
Yes, the POA can make these decisions if your mother is not capable of making decisions.  The POA does not speak for the patient unless they cannot do so for themselves or lacks decision making capacity.   Many hospices will continue to provide PT and others offer for a limited time to train the patient and family on  the procedure/exercise program.   Stopping PT will not stop your mom from participating in the PT activity just without PT present.  

Your mom's overall functional status is not a single criteria for discharge from hospice.  In the hospices I have been affiliated with an improved functional status is watch for 1-2 months and then re-evaluated to consider the overall status of the patient.  

I understand your concern of your mom getting the best care to increase her quality of life.
Have you talked with your brother to see what has happen, get input of a choice made or was this a recommendation of hospice?   

Caring Thoughts
Jan

Hospice Care

Jan Reeves