Hospice Care/Cushion for pressure sores

Hello!  Could you please  provide the right type and brand name of sitting cushion for an older man who has a pressure sores on each cheek of his bottom? He is on the thin side.   There are lots of them available; not sure about the right type etc.
Thanks so much!

Hi, Jan--

This is a little bit out of my area but I think I can help, if only by pointing you in a useful direction.

The cushions available to protect against pressure do come in a variety of materials and shapes.  The primary thing I would suggest is to keep pressure off his buttocks all together.  This means lying on his side and turning every two hours, around the clock, to the other side.  If he can tolerate it, even lying prone can be helpful.  Anything to keep off those ulcers.

If there are circumstances which require him to sit, then I would suggest consulting with at least one seller of DME (durable medical equipment).  You would do very well to talk to a wound care nurse as well as there are salves and various treatments that can help heal these things.  They are the experts!

Wound care nurses also know what products work and which ones are... not as good.  Any good hospital will have a wound care nurse or two.  And if the information you receive doesn't feel right, or the answers you are given to your questions seem not on point, call another hospital, talk to another wound care nurse....  Keep at it until you too are an expert.

If you are near a university medical school hospital, this will be your best source of information, in my opinion.  Not everyone in the private (for profit) sector is motivated by profit, but in university hospitals, they are all about getting it right, not getting the payment.  They know the evidence that is developed through research.  They are often literally making the evidence!

I wish I had an easier answer but the older I get, the more experience I have, the more I am convinced that as consumers we must ourselves be educated.

I hope this fellow realizes how fortunate he is to have you!  Til you can get more information, turn, turn, turn.  Even if he is uncomfortable being moved, it is important that he not develop more decubiti.  Watch for heels, elbows, shoulders, knees, any bony parts that even touch a surface.  If you can get a couple of sheep-skins (synthetic works great--launderable!), maybe a foam egg crate mattress.  Memory foam is nice but it can be hot, and thus not too comfortable.  This will sound silly, but there are very reasonably priced (don't laugh) dog beds that are meant for doggies with arthritis.  They could be helpful if, say, one was from the top of the legs to the toes, and another might be behind the back.  Then buttocks would not be touching anything.  The only thing I can think might be at issue is, there is no support for his spine.  It may be that using several different approaches through the day is the best plan.  You didn't say whether you are a family member, caregiver, hospice employee....  :)

Well, these are my best thoughts.  Good luck with all this, and please, do talk to the wound care nurse at some good hospital.  Pressure ulcers can be managed.

Very best wishes,

Hospice Care

Christine Johnson

I can give suggestions, encouragement and direction on what hospice is and is not, when it is appropriate, and how to go about getting it. I am familiar with Medicaid and Medicare hospice benefits. I can answer general questions about disease process, what dying looks like, how hospice handles pain and other symptoms, what to expect from a hospice when end of life nears. I can provide support, direction and encouragement related to spiritual matters and psychological matters related to death and dying.

I am a certified hospice and palliative care nurse, and have been the director of nurses for three hospice centers, under two different companies. I have also worked as a contract hospice nurse for a large American hospice company. On a personal level, my father died without benefit of hospice (it was not popular then). I have taken care of dying patients in hospitals and recognize that for most of us, it is preferable to die at home (or in our residence, wherever that may be), comfortably and without anxiety. Also I had no support when my father died; hospice clients are the whole family (however that is defined by the "patient"), and support is provided at least a year after the patient passes. These are the sorts of things (and probably others) that I can help with.

HPNA (Hospice and Palliative Nurses Association)

none yet

Registered Nurse (TX), Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (TX) ADN Nursing, Excelsior College, Albany, New York (2004) 4.0 GPA BA, Psychology (minor Social Work), Oklahoma University, Norman, OK (1986) 3.67 GPA MHR (MA) Human Relations, Oklahoma University, Norman, OK (1988) 3.5 GPA

Phi Beta Kappa (and others)

Unable to name as this would violate their privacy (and HIPAA....)