Hospice Care/Tears when dying

Question
My father recently passed away after his heart failed and he collapsed. He was resuscitated and in ICU but had suffered brain damage.  He died not long after machines were turned off. My question is that just before he died tears rolled down his face, the same thing happened when my Mum passed away, what is the reason for these tears, were they in pain or was it relief to be at peace?

Answer
Carol:

I would like to first apologize for taking so long to answer your question.  It was difficult to find any scientific information to backup your question either way.
Each persons death is as unique as their birth. No one explanation can fit every situation.  I have found that each person's death experience relates to many different aspects of their life, value, belief systems, unfinished business, personality, faith, and relationships with friends and family.
I could give you many different reasons why I believe some individuals shed tears following their death which has physiological and psychological reasons.
I have seen this happen for patient's that die in pain and in one's that death finally brings peace.  
Tears following death can come from grief, loss, guilt, fear, aloneness, hurt feelings, unfinished business, the unknown and loss of loved ones to only mention a few.  Grief is not just and emotion for the living.  Terminal patients grieve many losses before their final day.
The underlying denominator of how a person will experience their death is directly related to how they lived their life, their relationships, unfinished business, fear of the unknown, faith, accomplishments, beliefs, strengths, weaknesses and guilt.
I have had many patient's and families tell me they just wanted to sit on their loved one's bed and cry but they didn't want to upset the other person.  When in reality crying together promotes healing together.  It gives everyone a chance to show their love for the other person.  Everyone can express their pain, anger, fears etc.
I will share on more thought if you don't mind.  Over the last ten years of nursing I have experienced the same scenario from certain types of families over and over.  The patient is dying, he/she could go at anytime.  The family is called in and they all stay in the room and wait for hours. We call it the death watch and it is just horrors.  
I usually encourage the family (all) of them to take a walk or go for coffee after they have been waiting for more that 2 hours.  They all have the same fear, "what if she goes when we are gone?"  My response is always the same, "Just tell her you where you are going and you will be back in a couple of minutes."
Every without fail as soon as the family leaves I will enter the room and tell the patient, "It's okay they went for coffee and they will be fine."  most of the time the patient dies while the family is gone.  
The reason you ask?  Think about how hard it would be to leave your son or daughter when they are sitting next to you holding your hand.  Knowing that you are about to cause them more pain than imaginable.  It is almost impossible to let go when someone you love so much is sitting by your side, afraid, grieving and not wanting you to go.

Hospice Care

Sydney Humphrey