Hospital Administration/hospital billing

This may be totally out of your expertise, but saw no where else to ask this. Two months ago, my 92 yr old mother was in the hospital for 9 days and was then released to go into hospice, where she died 4 days later.
There's a slight chance that medicare won't pay for her last two days in the hospital. If that's the case, would the hospital bill the family (me,her next of kin) for that? That makes me nervous, because that could amount to ten's of thousands of dollars. Thanks

Hi Lee, I am so sorry for your loss. In some states, the hospital can only bill a spouse for medical bills. Since you are her son, unless you added yourself as the guarantor at the hospital, you are not liable for her debt. However, they can file a lien against her estate so that they would have to be paid before it is sold or the title transferred to another owner.

I hope this helps.  

Hospital Administration

Joy Hicks, MBA, CPM

I can answer all questions in hospital administration as long as they are business/finance related. I cannot answer any clinical related questions.

I have 13 years of hospital experience and also have a blog that provides advice, information, and tips about the medical office.

Certified Practice Manager
AA in Business Administration
BA in Health Care Administration
MBA w/ healthcare specialization