House Plants/help id house plant

Michael Bunting wrote at 2010-06-21 00:16:34
The name of the plant in the above picture is that of a Pregnant onion.  It can propagate two ways. Every once in a while it will send on a flowering stem with white flowers that if pollinated will drop seed by sexual reproduction.  The second way is by growing small new bulbs in the rings of the main bulb.  Genetically the same as the mother plant.  Thus this is how it gets its most common name.

Naja wrote at 2010-11-19 13:57:14
Hey!  I have the same plant.  It is a pregnant onionFamily: Hyacinthaceae

Genus: Ornithogalum (or-ni-THOG-al-um) (Info)

Species: longibracteatum

This plant is toxic if ingested and blooms with a white flower. It multiplies when it expels "babies" from it's onion like layers.  Very cool!

JSharrow wrote at 2011-10-28 18:58:12
This looks like some sort of lily..i have these in my yard and the leaves get extremely long!! like 3-4 feet!!  

Ann wrote at 2012-05-12 19:41:26
Richters, Herb,seed,&vegetable cat. called it sea-onion,other name Ornithogaium caudatum it is a medicinal herb.

Ellen W. wrote at 2012-06-22 00:06:13
The plant is known as a marsh onion.  It is used for healing similar to an aloe vera type plant.  It draws out infection, slivers, etc.  They would cut off a piece of the leaf end and bandage it to the wound.  My husband's mother's family called it a (???maerz weevil???--sorry don't know German spelling of it)

Renee wrote at 2012-11-15 20:30:11
That looks like what my family calls a healing onion. It is not edible. When the leave is cut it emits a gooey substance and when chopped up and put on a bandage over a wound it will draw the infection out and help heal it faster. When used for healing it will sometimes itch very badly as part of the process. Besides the blooms which are tall and white, baby plants should push out of the bulb part and you can see them as small lumps.  

Mountain wrote at 2014-09-25 07:10:33
I have the same plant, and I have been wondering what it is...  The three bulbs were given to me a few years ago by a lady in a tiny little pot.  They have grown massively, the leaves are now many of them 6ft long and the bulbs about 4 inches diameter.  Ours started flowering last year and again this year.  It grows a spike about 3 to 4 feet long out of the center and then grows a three inch head of green centered white outer colored flowers with six petals.  I have been trying for two years to figure out what this plant is, no luck so far...

House Plants

Diana Hamilton