House Plants/Coral Cactus

EWA wrote at 2012-03-11 00:00:51
TAKE A SQUER AND PUNCH HOLES IN THE TOP LAYER OF THE THE ROCKS. IT WILL ALLOW THE WATER TO PENETRATE TO THE ROOTS. NO NEED TO REMOVE THE DECORATIVE ROCKS ON THE TOP LAYER. I DID IT AND IT WORKS LIKE A GEM. GOOD LUCK

Will Creed wrote at 2012-03-11 20:32:41
EWA - That is a good suggestion, but it only deals with the problem of getting water into the root zone. Unfortunately, leaving the glued pebbles in place makes it impossible to tell when the soil is sufficiently dry enough to need water.

~Will Creed

b. notley wrote at 2012-07-22 16:35:18
I apparently purchased my coral cactus at the same place Judy did.  I was looking for the answer to a different question when I found this answer; now I find that I need to re-pot my cactus.  Thank you very much for answering Judy's question; it is very helpful to me as well.

mrs. weibel wrote at 2012-09-08 05:57:52
i learned so much from you,r ifo. if i may i would like to call you about a plant in my yard. thank you    d. weibel

Will Creed wrote at 2012-09-11 19:19:01
Hi Mrs. Weibel,

Thanks for your kind words. I'm always happy to help, but my expertise is limited to indoor potted plants so I cannot help you with your yard plants.

~Will Creed

Linda H wrote at 2013-03-19 17:09:32
Transplanted by Coral Cactus exactly the way you said to it.  Came out excellent...Thank you!

1sunnybeachbum wrote at 2014-05-06 01:31:55
I just received the coral (cactus) plant from a friend when my dear pet passed away and I thought it was such a beautiful gesture. The instructions it came with said to let it drain but there were no holes in the pot so I looked up this blog and so glad I did. I successfully drilled holes in the bottom and loosened the rocks. I had the plant for a week and never watered it and water came pouring out. It would have gotten root-rot for sure if I hadn't read this. Thanks so very much. I hope to see it bloom and live a long time.

jennifer wrote at 2015-08-27 16:38:36
Great information.  My plant tag did not give any advice to the glued rock soil and I wondered just how I was suppose to get any moisture to the roots. I never guessed that something would be sold in a container that would kill it.

House Plants

Will Creed