House Plants/English Ivy

I typically use English Ivy as trailers in my outdoor potted plants and bring them in to be repotted by themselves in the Fall.  My latest ivy was brought in around the end of September and potted.  It is in a West setting, about 8 feet from the windows, gets a ton of light, but no direct sunlight.  The leaves are turning yellow with  brownish/blackish spots.  I do  see new growth.  Also, I always spray the plants before bringing indoors.  What could be causing this??  Thanks

Inspect them very closely for spider mites. Shine a large flashlight looking for webbing in the leaf crotches. If you find it you will need to spray them with a mix of 2 cups rubbing alcohol and 2 cups water with a teaspoon of dish soap or insecticidal soap added.  Dish soap works just fine. Spray them every 3 days for 5 treatments to kill any eggs that hatch. Spider mites love ivy.

The other problem it could be would be is too much water. Make sure they are not sitting constantly wet. Ivy will survive the winter outside just fine unless you are in northern Canada or Alaska. Write again if you have more questions. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.