House Plants/Hawaiian Scheffleura

Question
I have a Hawaiian Scheffleura and have had it for 30 years.  This year it has produced green to light green berry looking blooms.  Why is it producing these berries?  Is this it's bloom after all these years.  It is grown into a tree and has been a tree for several years.  It's trunk is 3 or 4 inches in diameter and loves the skylights above.  It is in a planter with no bottom.
Thank you for your time.

Answer
Hi Caryn,

Schefflera arboricolas will sometimes flower indoors when they are quite old and well cared for and in good light. Keeping them potbound also helps. Most foliage plants are capable of flowering, but rarely do indoors because they don't live long enough for it to happen.

So congratulations to you for caring for your plant so well for so long. Don't change anything you are doing!

I have written articles on Schefflera care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed