House Plants/Hawaiian Scheffleura

I have a Hawaiian Scheffleura and have had it for 30 years.  This year it has produced green to light green berry looking blooms.  Why is it producing these berries?  Is this it's bloom after all these years.  It is grown into a tree and has been a tree for several years.  It's trunk is 3 or 4 inches in diameter and loves the skylights above.  It is in a planter with no bottom.
Thank you for your time.

Hi Caryn,

Schefflera arboricolas will sometimes flower indoors when they are quite old and well cared for and in good light. Keeping them potbound also helps. Most foliage plants are capable of flowering, but rarely do indoors because they don't live long enough for it to happen.

So congratulations to you for caring for your plant so well for so long. Don't change anything you are doing!

I have written articles on Schefflera care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College