House Plants/re potting of luckey bean

I have 2 Lucky bean plants. The plants are in a ceramic kind of a pot with no drainage and is topped of with small pebbles. One of them is having a lot of dried up leaves. It is near the window and is receiving a lot on natural light.

Please let me know if I should re pot and if there is any other thing that is important for me to know.

Hi Syeda,

I am sorry your question remained unanswered so long. Had you posted it directly to me it would have been answered within 24 hours.

Carefully remove the plant from its ceramic pot and also remove the decorative pebbles. Find a new pot that has drain holes and is just barely large enough to fit your plant into. Do not make the common mistake of using a pot that is too large. Use as little potting mix as possible to fill in any spaces around the sides.

Lucky bean plant (Castanospermum australe) should be kept in a small pot until the soil dries out in 3 days or less. Provide lots of bright indirect light with a few hours of early or late day direct sun. Allow the top inch of soil to dry to the touch and then water it thoroughly. Fertilize it sparingly at half strength when it is growing vigorously. It prefers temps in the 60-80 degree range.

The bean or nut that it grows from is very toxic so keep it away from pets and small children.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College