House Plants/Aechmea (Bromeliad)

Question
The flower on my plant lasted 8 mos., but is now dry & faded. It has a baby plant. I don't know what to do with it. Could you please send me your article on what to do?
Thank you,
Penny

Answer
Hi Penny,

I do not have access to anyone's mail address on this site so I am unable to email you my article. However, if you send your request to me directly at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com, I can then email the article on Bromeliad care back to you.

In the interim, here is what you can do. Cut off the dead flower stem at its base inside the leaf vase. The original plant will very slowly die back over the course of a year or so. Meanwhile the baby plant, called an offset, will continue to grow. I suggest that you keep both plants together in the existing pot. The baby can be severed from the mother plant later on, although that is not necessary.

Provide lots of bright light, preferably a couple of hours of direct sunlight each day. Do not water the vase. Do water the soil whenever the top inch of soil feels very dry. Fertilize sparingly at half-strength no more than once per month. Do NOT repot it or otherwise disturb the roots.

As you know, I have written an article on Bromeliad care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed