House Plants/Calathea In

Hi Jonathan

I recently purchased a Calathea. Some of the leaves had a fungus and I promptly removed them. The problem now is that the plant has 11 leaves of which 7 are curled up. I have it sitting in the living room close to a window and there is no direct sunlight.
I tried the plant in the conservatory in case it wasn't getting enough light but that didn't seem to make any difference.

I would appreciate you advice.

Kind regards

Hi Philip

When Calathea leaves roll up, it means that they are not humid enough and they are also being kept too wet. At this time of year, they need to be kept moist and they need bright filtered light to maintain their coloring. To keep the humidity up, you have to place the pot on a tray of moist pebbles so the water can evaporate up to the leaves. If you spray them at this time of year, you could encourage mold and fungus.

I hope this helps.

House Plants

Jonathan Alderson

I cannot answer questions about difficult and rare houseplants but I can with all the rest of the popular or even uncommon types.

I have grown houseplants for a lot of years and as always, I started off with a cactus and a Chlorophytum. I know all about the growing conditions, watering, feeding, humidity and propagation. I also know about the winter care and the pruning of flowering houseplants and the lighting for the foliage plants. I can also tell people the difference between pot plants and permanent plants and how to keep the pot plants for another season if that is possible for that particular plant.

Trade Base Community Allotment Association.

I have an NVQ Level 1 in horticulture.