House Plants/jade plant/tree

this jade was purchased in MI back in the early 70's, and moved to FL over 10 years ago.  It stays in a screened porch, and in the same corner.  In the last 6 mos it has started to grow root like tentacles on most of it's branches(looks like black spiders hanging upside down from the branches)  Is it getting too old?  Or possibly needs to be repotted?  This is new to me given how old the plant is.

I believe that it is not getting enough sun and it is hot and humid where you are growing it so it is trying to root. Move it out of the corner and into a sunnier location and you will have less roots. You can simply use you fingers and pinch or rub off these roots. If you want to take some cuttings and root them they will root easily if they already have these "starter" roots. If not just rub the roots off and make sure the plant gets more sun and do not leave water in the drain tray and the roots will disappear . Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.