House Plants/jasmine plant

i got a jasmine plqant for mothers day i brought it in for the winter i live in michigan should it be in a window . thanks

Hi Sue,

The short answer is yes, your Jasmine needs to be on a sunny windowsill where it can get lots of winter sunlight.

It is not generally understood that outdoor sunlight is much more intense than indoor sunlight. Outside, light comes from all directions and is unfiltered. Indoors, light usually comes through a window from one direction only. This means that a plant that does best in light shade outdoors would require direct sunlight when indoors. Even a plant adapted to deep shade outside would have to be close to window when indoors.

I have written articles on light and on Jasmine care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College