House Plants/My plants are dying

Hi there ,i have some plants like peace lilly and solanium and others,the probleme is the leaves are getting braun and are dying,i was putting on the plants some powder that i thought it was vitamins then i knew from an expert that if its used too much it burn the roots and each time i put water it becam worst,i replanted them too new soil too get rid if this powder,but they are still in bad there something too do?

Hi Mey,

Different plant species have different soil, light and moisture requirements so I cannot possibly diagnose a variety of your plants. In addition, I would need specific information as to what light you are providing and what your watering routine is.

Plants do not use vitamins. They do use certain minerals that they absorb through their roots, not their leaves. Replacing soil is never a good idea and will usually kill your plants.

There is a lot of basic plant care information that you need to have if you want to be successful with your plants. Learn their botanical names and learn what their individual soil, light and moisture requirements are before you try to care for them. Repotting, replacing soil, using powders and other soil supplements are not good practices. Providing appropriate light and water are what matter most.

I have written many articles on indoor plant care that are listed on my website.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College