House Plants/YIKES! NEED HELP PLEASE!

Question
My schefflera plant is 12 years old!! HUGE!  He loves to be cut back and I have done this yearly.  We live in Bettendorf, Iowa, so when cold nights begin in late October, we bring him inside and place him in his favorite sunny place, in front of our south-side-facing patio doors.  Then, when nights begin to stay above cold temps in the spring, out he goes to his favorite place on our front deck, with lots of sun!

So, same procedure this year. He has been indoors for about three weeks now.  I just went to water him, and noticed what looked like little dirt specks, only on the new growths - best way to describe is that the specks on the new growth shoots look like someone threw black dirt at them...AND the teeny weeny new growth umbrella-like shoots are curling inward, like dying....

SO, Alistair (don't ask) has been the BEST plant ever.  Never had any worries or problems and he is quite special to me. A friend sent little Alistair to me when my father passed away...and without me even having a green thumb, Alistair has thrived!  I don't have a CLUE what to do.

So glad I saw your web site.  Can you help please?  THank you!!!!

Amy F.

Answer
Hi Amy,

"Little dirt specks" is a bit vague so a photo would be helpful. In the absence of more specific information, my educated guess is that the specks are scale insects or possibly aphids. Try spraying the entire plant with a solution of 5 parts water, 1 part rubbing alcohol and a squirt of liquid soap. If you are very thorough and the specks are scale or aphids, then that should solve the problem.

To be on the safe side, do post a photo here or email it to me at my email address below.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed