House Plants/Yucca Plant is dying

I have an issue with a Yucca plant dying much like the question below, previously listed on your site and answered by you. Picture appears to be exactly like my Yucca plant.
(I prone and water my Yucca plant every 3 weeks. Both plants sit directly in
front of my balcony bay window. I open the blinds on them at about 9am and
close at around 5pm. When I first got it, it was a lot more healthy, green and
full. Do Yucca plants go through changes during season changes? Do the heal
after shedding leavings and become green and full again around summer?
Here are some pictures. I've never repotted after I bought them, I was told too
much soil space could rot them. I've had them for 6 months purchased on
May 28, 2007. Here are some of the leaves I pulled today. Is there a certain
way to prone them. I just pull the died or dying leaves downwards until they
break off. The plant still has green to it, but I'm just wacthing it get worse
and worse, thinnner and thinner. When I water them I put them in the bath
tub full of water and let them soak for about 10 minutes.drain for a minute
and put them back infront of the window.)

My plant is next to the window, though doesn't get a ton of light. I believe it is a western facing window but I am not sure.  I have a huge corn plant in the same spot in a different room and that plant is thriving. However my Yucca plant is slowly dying. Pot size is same as at plant store. I have had the plant since August and all its leaves are turning yellow and brown. There is no new growth that I can see. I would say almost 3/4 of all leaves are yellowing or brown already. The leaves are bright green then they start the fade almost from the middle of the leaf, the color gets light and lighter until it yellows and browns. I water it 1 every 2 weeks and soil feels pretty dry on top before I re-water, though I have not checked 1 in down. I live in NJ and it is becoming very cold so I am assuming moving it outside won't help. Is my plant dead for good or do you think there is a way to save it? I really liked this plant when I purchased it and would love to save it if I could. Should I remove the dead leaves? What can I do?

Hi Ashley,

Your Yucca is either not getting adequate light or enough water, perhaps both. A west window is fine, but the Yucca should be right in front of the window, not off to the side, and it should be within 2-3 feet of the window. The window must be completely uncovered throughout the daylight hours. Yuccas require much more light than Corn Plants.

You didn't indicate how much water you are adding every other week, so I cannot accurately judge whether you are watering properly. When you water you should pour water slowly over the entire surface until a small amount trickles through the drainage holes. Then, water again when the top inch of soil is dry. Don't rely on the calendar to tell you when to water.

The discolored leaves will not recover, so they should be trimmed off. If you provide good light and adequate water, then you should see new healthy growth come in at the tops of the stems. There really is nothing more you can do, so you will need to be patient while your Yucca recovers.

I have written articles on Yucca care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College