House Plants/Cactus Plant????

Could you identify this plant in the attached photo and tell us how we can get it to bloom. Apparently the blooms are fantastic.

I think it is an Epiphyllum sp. (Orchid cactus, leaf cactus)...Flowering plants are classified by their flower structure...Seeing the flower is the best way to ID your cactus...Type orchid cactus in to your search engine and see the photos they supply...
Succulents love light...A lot of succulents will not tolerate direct sun all day...They just need a bright location...This will help them flower...
Watering technique is very important for succulents (Including cacti)...Usually they die from too frequent watering (or letting stay dry too long). In this case Orchid cactus plants can die easily if kept too wet and not allowed to dry enough between waterings...You want to make sure they go dry between waterings...They do rot out easily if kept too wet. Water your plant based on how much it weighs when thoroughly watered VS when they are ready to be watered again...Pick the pot up and feel how heavy it is after watering it...Don't water it again until it feels considerably lighter and the top of the soil is light in color. Do water in the early AM on sunny days...Be especially careful when watering succulents during the shorter day-lite hours of winter...Err on the dry side side with these plants...Do keep them warm and avoid cold drafts...

Hope this helps...Let me know what you think...
Rick in southern NJ  

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ