House Plants/my corn plant

Hi, my corn plant is having trouble this is the 2nd one i have had and i seem to be killing it also. the stalk that holds the leaves turned brown and bent over. Can you please help me?

Hi Kelly,

I cannot help you very much if you just describe the symptoms without providing any information on how you care for your Corn Plant.

Clearly, the stem you described is dead and will not recover. That could happen because of poor light or because of either over or under watering. Most people tend to over water their Corn Plants, especially if they have repotted them. However, I don't know if you are like most people because you haven't told me anything about the light you provided or your watering routine or if you repotted.

If you provide me with more information, I will be able to help you much more.

I have written an article on Corn Plant care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College