House Plants/Madagascar almond tree

Can the madagascar almond tree be planted in a big flower pot? I know this tree can grow huge but can I control its growth?

Yes, it can but do not start with a big pot. Put it in a pot just slightly larger than the rootball.  It is a tree that can be made into a bonsai tree and be kept in a bonsai pot forever. I recommend that you get some books on bonsai and learn how to root prune and control the growth on bonsai trees. It looks like a very interesting tree to create a bonsai with. Ficus trees are also easy to work with and pretty easy to obtain in most areas. I am a bonsai artist myself and would be happy to advise you a bit along the way but you should find out if there is a bonsai club on your island. It is much easier to learn with others. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.