House Plants/Plant preferred light bulbs?

Question
Mr Creed-

First I must thank you for your insightful, knowledgable, and detailed responses to previous questions.  I appreciate the wealth of information you provide... I am wondering whether you would recommend any lightbulb for someone trying to nurture indoor plants.  I have very little natural light in my apt, and an affinity for plants! Thank you again-

Jamie Corssen

Answer
Hi Jamie,

Thank you for your complimentary words. Much appreciated!

There is a limited variety of low light plants that will survive under artificial lights alone. I have written an article on low light plants that provides detailed information on those specific plant species. See below to learn how to get a copy of that article.

Fluorescent lights are the best choice for plant growth. They produce light in the correct portion of the light spectrum for plants. They generate no significant heat so they can be placed very close to your plants. Finally, they are very cheap to operate and that is an important consideration because plants dependent on artificial lights must have those lights on for at least 8 hours per day.

Incandescent lights produce light in the wrong portion of the spectrum, generate a lot of heat and will run up your electric bill.

It is not necessary to use special plant grow lights. They are more expensive but no better than standard cool and warm white fluorescent lights.

I have written articles on light for plants and on low light plants that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed