House Plants/re:unidentifiable plant

unknown plant
unknown plant  
QUESTION: Hi, I have this plant growing in my flower garden and can not find a name for it.  I've searched the web with the discription but to no avail.  This is the second year.  I don't remember if it bloomed last year.
Can you help me please.
It is probably something simple but I just can't seem to come up with it! :p

ANSWER: Cheryl,
Plants are classified by their flower structure...You need to see the flower produced to be sure...There are too many plants (weeds & other) with similar leaves...
It looks like it may be a simple answer...The leaves look like chrysanthemum leaves...It will flower in the FALL...Send me a picture of the flower or see for yourself...
Sorry I could not be more helpful now...
Rick in southern NJ

QUESTION: Hi Richard,
After I posted this I was looking through one of my gardening books and came across a plant with a very similar leaf structure. It was a delphinium.?? I'll have to wait and see.
I will definitely send you a picture if it flowers.

Thank you for your time. :)

ANSWER: I think you are right...
The leaves are the same and they are arranged in a whorled fashion (all are attached in a whorl group instead of alternate or opposite) just like a delphinium...
Flower ID will help you to ID it more positively...

unknown plant
unknown plant  

unknown plant
unknown plant  
QUESTION: Hi Richard
Well this plant flowered after I moved it to a sunnier place.
Here is a picture of the flower

Thanks for the follow-up...I can't tell from the latest pictures what the whole plant looks like with the flower stalks...Delphiniums have an elongated flower stalk with numerous flowers on it...
Have you taken a picture sample to your local garden center for them to ID it.?.

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ