House Plants/Bromeliad has lost its color

Hi Darlene,

My bromeliad plant used to be a bright orange color, but it has faded and has now almost completely lost its color.  Its seems healthy otherwise.  Is there anything I can do to help it regain its beautiful orange color?

Your bromeliad is done flowering...Bromeliads are epiphytic plants (grow on trees)...They only flower once and then produce side-shoots to reflower...Transplanting these off-shoots are necessary to keep flower production going...
As long as they are still green (alive) the old shoots should be OK...The new offshoots will take 1-3 years to flower...They can even be transplanted without roots on them...The roots will develop over a period of time if watered properly...
Try watering this way...water by weight...Check how much the plant weighs when thoroughly watered VS its' weight when it is ready to be watered again. Sometimes it helps to put a saucer under the pot and let the plant sit in water for 10-15 minutes. Pick the pot up and feel how heavy it is after watering it thoroughly. Don't water it again until it feels considerably lighter and the top of the soil is light in color. Depending on plant types, sunlight exposure and pot size plants will need water at many different rates (1-2 times a day to once a month or more)...Bromeliads like bright light but not direct sun unless it is morning sun...
Hope this helps...Let me know what you think...
Rick in southern NJ  

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ