House Plants/euphorbia lactea cristata

Euphorbia Lactea Cristata
Euphorbia Lactea Crist  

Euphorbia Lactea Cristata
Euphorbia Lactea Crist  
Plant is in a 4" deep x 4" wide pot (plant comes out of pot with
soil intact).  Plant was thriving...and clean.. I bought it 1 year ago.  Grown on windowsill that receives sun from morning until 2pm.  I water once every 4 - 5 weeks.  It's growing in a cactus mix with added pearlite....good drainage..The dark spots are discolorations...cannot be rubbed off,can't feel anything; has not gone through to the other side.  But it is spreading.  These 2 plants are grown on different windowsills. I have had the other plant for 2 years, and the pot is a bit larger.
(The bright spots on right side of one photo is just a camera reflection. Discoloration start out a light tan....soon turns dark not "soot."

Hi Marie,

I am not sure just what your question is. The photos are not clear enough for me to see whatever it is that concerns you.

I can tell you that the pot size and potting mix you described are appropriate for a Coral Cactus. If they are sitting on windowsills with windows that are uncovered throughout the daylight hours, then they would probably need water every 2-3 weeks.

If the pots do not have drainage holes, then all bets are off because it is impossible to determine accurately the volume of water to be added. If your tap water is hard, then use distilled or filtered water.

Finally, understand that these plants are hybrids in which one plant species has been grafted onto a different plant species. They are novelty plants that are not noted for their hardiness and they are subject to a variety of genetic disorders.

Try to get the watering under control. If that doesn't help, then there is probably not much you can do about the genetic structure of your particular plants.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College