House Plants/fiddle leaf fig plant

I got this plant when my father passed away on Dec 10th. I brought it home around the 20th when I left my Mom's. The leaves have started turning black so I repotted it yesterday which was the 23rd of Jan. Am I going to kill it??? I just read your answer to someone else about not repotting until April. OMG I thought I was going to save it. I am really not very good with house plants but am an okay person with outdoor flowers and stuff. I want this plant to live I would be crushed if something happens to it.

Hopefully you did not move it to a pot twice as big as the old one, if so I would move it back to one just slightly larger than the old one. Be very careful not to overwater it. It is a tree, not a swamp plant, it does not like to be too wet. It needs to dry out between waterings. I am willing to bet that the black leaves indicate it is not getting enough sun. This is a tropical tree that loves the sun. It needs 6 hours of sun a day. It needs to sit next to a south, east or west window with the window coverings open all day so it gets as much sun as possible. The pot it is in must have a drain hole and a drain tray. When you water it the drain tray should only have a little water in it after watering, if it has more suction it out with a turkey baster so it is not too wet. If you have more questions feel free to write again. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.