House Plants/Fiddle Leaf Fig tree indoors

My Fiddle Leaf Fig looks good and is not dropping leaves but I noticed that along the stem and the new growth coming out the top is all brown and dried up? I water it once a week and it dries out in between. Why is the new growth brown and dried up? See attachment.
Thank you for your time and input

Hi Laura Beth,

I cannot see enough of the new growth in the photo to be sure, but it is possible that the dry brown that you see is the outer covering of the growing tip and not a cause for concern. If indeed it is the growing tip itself that has shriveled and died, then improper watering is the likely cause.

Without seeing the size of the pot relative to the size of the plant and not knowing how much light it receives, I cannot tell if a weekly watering is appropriate.

If your Ficus lyrata is properly potted and is close to a sunny uncovered window, then it should be watered thoroughly as soon as the surface of the soil feels very dry. It should reach that level of dryness again in about a week's time.

I have written articles on Ficus lyrata care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College