House Plants/Fiddle Leaf Fig tree indoors

Question
1691.jpg
1691.jpg  
My Fiddle Leaf Fig looks good and is not dropping leaves but I noticed that along the stem and the new growth coming out the top is all brown and dried up? I water it once a week and it dries out in between. Why is the new growth brown and dried up? See attachment.
Thank you for your time and input

Answer
Hi Laura Beth,

I cannot see enough of the new growth in the photo to be sure, but it is possible that the dry brown that you see is the outer covering of the growing tip and not a cause for concern. If indeed it is the growing tip itself that has shriveled and died, then improper watering is the likely cause.

Without seeing the size of the pot relative to the size of the plant and not knowing how much light it receives, I cannot tell if a weekly watering is appropriate.

If your Ficus lyrata is properly potted and is close to a sunny uncovered window, then it should be watered thoroughly as soon as the surface of the soil feels very dry. It should reach that level of dryness again in about a week's time.

I have written articles on Ficus lyrata care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed