House Plants/Identifying a large houseplant

Mystery plant 1
Mystery plant 1  

Mystery plant 2
Mystery plant 2  
Hello here!  I was wondering if you could please help me identify this house plant, or at least point me in the right general direction.  I got this plant from my mother.  It's at least twenty years old, and I am afraid I have no idea whee it came from prior to my mom owning it.  The tall stick in the pot is a meter stick, though the side facing the camera is marked in inches.  The second photo shows the stem, with leaf scars, and the underside of one of the leaves -which has raised veins.  I can provide more pictures if that would help.  

In all the years we have had this plant, I have never seen it flower, and it seems like it might have a nice one.  Any tips on how I might tempt it to bloom?

It is a philodendron selloum. I have never seen one bloom. If you visit Florida you will see them up to 20 feet tall and I have never seen one bloom. If it does bloom it stays close to the base of the plant and looks like a peace lily bloom. To see a picture of a bloom go to google and put in philodendron selloum bloom then click on images and they have a lot of pictures of the bloom. To encourage blooming keep the plant in a small pot so it becomes rootbound, fertilize it with a blooming plant fertilizer and keep it in a sunny location. Do not keep it constantly wet, let it dry out between waterings. Plants bloom in order to reproduce. A tropical plant that is kept comfortable has no reason to bloom. If it is in  a cramped pot and kept on the dry side but given blooming plant fertilizer that will encourage blooming. Then be patient. It may take awhile. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.