House Plants/manderin tree indoors

i bought an indoor manderin tree with a little mand growing on it from a home depot.  the manderine matured and it was quite tastey.  this was 4 months back.  since then the tree wont bloom and we have it in direct sunlight, indoors.  our inddor lemon tree is doing great.  why wont the mandering flower? thanks

Hi Vince,

It is very difficult to get Mandarin orange trees to bloom and produce fruit indoors. In general, they require more sunlight than even direct indoor sunlight can provide. Outdoor sun is up to 100 times more intense than indoor sun. Cool night-time and winter temps are also beneficial, but hard to provide indoors.

Some Mandarin varieties can be pollinated within the same flower, but require you to do that by hand in the absence of bees. Other Mandarin varieties are not self-fertile and require pollen from another tree. You may have that variety.

Finally, Mandarins are unlikely to flower more than once per year when kept indoors, assuming everything else is in order.

So, you have a lot of things working against achieving more flowers and fruit on your Mandarin. Of course, Home Depot would never tell you that!

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College