House Plants/Osmanthus Houseplant

Question
I bought a variagated Osmanthus houseplant the beginning of December.  They were selling them at a local nursery as a "holly-looking" plant.  They had even placed little artificial red berries on them and they looked adorable.  I read your other information on how to care for them and I don't think I have been giving mine adequate light.  I had it on a tray on my coffee table pretty much in the middle of a room and by now the leaves are just dropping off by the hands full.  So what do I do now?  Do I prune it back now?  How?  What do I do with it in the summer?  Set it outside?  Any information would be really appreciated.  Thank you!

Answer
Hi Bonye,

Osmanthus is not an easy plant to use as a houseplant. It requires a tight pot, lots of natural sunlight and proper watering as soon as the top half-inch of soil feels dry. Regular pruning is also required.

Clearly, yours has not received adequate light and that is why it is dropping leaves. Prune back the mostly bare stems by approximately half. Move it to a sunny windowsill and water it as I described. If you made the mistake of repotting, then it is probably suffering from root rot and may not recover.

In the summer you can move it outside into light shade.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed