House Plants/Ponytail Palm

Question
I've had my Ponytail Palm for 11 years. I bought it with my husband when we were first together, so I really don't want it to die. This week I noticed that some of the leaves at the top were bending down and when I looked closely the center looked brown.  I did some research and I think it may have rotted from excess watering this summer. Can I save it?  Should I take it out of the pot and cut off the rotten part of the root? Should I repot it in dry soil? What do you think would be best? I really want to save it. Thank you so much!

Answer
Hi May,

No one wants their plants to die, but a lot of them do.

When lower leaves on a Ponytail Palm yellow and die back, it is not a serious problem. However, when new growth comes in withered, discolored or distorted, that means the roots are damaged, usually from keeping the soil too moist and causing the roots to rot.

With root rot, there is not single root that can be removed as it affects all of the roots equally. Replacing the soil will not help either. All you can do is allow the Ponytail to dry out deep into the pot before adding even a small quantity of water. Keeping the plant on a warm, sunny windowsill will help the drying out process. Whether or not the plant can be saved depends on just how badly damaged the roots already are and there is not way to tell that. However, if the upper portion of the stem is shriveled, then the plant is probably beyond recovery. Otherwise, look for signs of healthy new growth as e roots gradually recover.

Be patient and good luck with it.

I have written an article on Ponytail Palm care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed