House Plants/schefflera arboricola

i bought a schefflera arboricola several months ago,it did well until the past 2 months...the leaves and branches have almost completely fallen off...from some of the question/answer i have read it may be a combo of too much water/too little only has 1 leaf set left on it and its pretty skinny and about 18'' there any hope in saving it?i really love plants and hate to lose 1...also when talking about cutting it back,can you cut it from the top of the main stalk down?can you then root pieces of the clippings in water,if so how?i appreciate your time and effort...i'm praying there is something that i can do to save it...thank you soooooo much...

Hi Elizabeth,

I wish you had sought help a couple of months ago when your Arboricola first started to decline and still had a chance to be saved. Now, based on your description, it is too late.

You can try taking a tip cutting. That would be cutting the stem 1-3 inches below the remaining leaf growth. Insert that stem cutting in water and keep it on a sunny windowsill. If it develops roots, then you can transfer it to a small pot with damp potting mix when the roots are at least an inch long.

The roots of the original plant have died so the portion of the plant that remains in the pot cannot survive.

I have written an article on Schefflera care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College