House Plants/spider plant babies

how long can spider plant babies stay attached to the mother plant? i like the look of the babies and don't want to remove them,but i worry the babies will get to big and brake the stems off. i have one that i had to cut the stem off because the stem started dying off and i did want the babies to die (i hope i can save them) i don't know if i did it when i moved it or just to big   kim

Hi Kim,

Don't worry, the baby plants can stay on the main plant as long as you want or as long as the stem to which they are attached stays healthy.

The more light your Spider Plant receives, the stronger the stems (runners, actually) will be. I have seen baby plants stay attached for many years when the plant is hanging in a sunny window. In reduced light, the stems will not be as thick or strong and eventually may no longer be able to support the baby plants as they grow larger.

I suggest that you simply observe your plant. At the first sign of the stem starting to discolor and die back or the baby plant starting to wilt a bit, then sever the baby and move it into its own pot. It will not be too late at that point.

So, keep your babies intact as long as you can and enjoy the fountain-like look that the plant will attain!

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College