House Plants/Splitting up a tree philodendron.

Question
Stems
Stems  
Hello there!  My parents recently began spending their winters in Florida, and  a result I became the happy new owner of all my mothers house plants.  Among them was a large Tree Philodendron, which is now living happily in my dining room.  Upon more closely inspecting it, I discovered that in addition to the main stem, there are also at least two other smaller stems in the same pot.  Can I split these mini-stems off from the main plant and give them their own pots, and if so, how should I go about this?

Answer
Hi Jessie,

Your plant is known as a Philodendron selloum.

You could try to separate the smaller plants from the main plant, but I don't recommend it. There is a risk that you could damage the roots to both and lose everything. If you leave them alone, they will gradually grow and fill in the base of the existing pot and make it look more attractive. BTW, the plants do not compete with each other.

If you decide to do it, use a sharp knife to slice the smaller plants away from the main plant. Root the severed portion in water until you have roots at least an inch long. Then, transfer the rooted cutting to a very small pot filled with damp potting mix.

I have written an article on plant propagation that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed