House Plants/Varigated Umbrella plant has brown leaves

I have an umbrella plant that I recently took from my old job to my house and then to my new job.  I've had it for years and it is very healthy.  The very odd thing is that new leaves AND ones already established are brown with a hint or red.  They are healthy and not falling off.  If I give a slight tug on them they don't fall off.  Any ideas?  Suggestions?

Sounds like your plant is adjusting to its' new location...Umbrella plants (schefflera plants like a bright location - not direct sunlite)...Moving plants to new locations usually means adjusting your care schedule...With this in mind generally speaking here is the best way to care for container plants...
Water by weight. Put a saucer under the pot. Water and let the plant sit in the excess water for 5-10 minutes. After that time pour off any excess water in the saucer. Pick up or lean the pot. It should feel heavy. Don't water again until it feels considerably lighter in weight. Outdoors check the plant everyday. Indoors check it every 3-10 days. Watering frequency depends on many factors(type of plant,light exposure,temps, humidity, etc.).
Most indoor tropical plants require you to add fertilize on a weekly to monthly basis during the growing season. Visit your local garden center (not chain store) and see what they recommend for your particular plants...
Spray misting and humidity requirements will vary from plant to plant...Misting once or twice a week will help keep the plant clean. Overdoing it can cause mold and fungi problems.
I could use a picture of the plant to be more accurate...It sounds like your plant is OK...
Hope this helps...
Good luck...
Let me know what you think.
Rick in southern NJ

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ