House Plants/yucca tree

I found a yucca tree in the garbage at my building and it's in really sad condition.  It's never been pruned and its over grown in the pot it's in (the roots are exposed above the soil).  I've trimmed off all the dead leaves and I'm planning to repot the tree, it was in a 10 liter pot.  My question is how much bigger of a pot should I use to repot the tree and what kind and how much fertilizer should I use?  Also I live in northern Manitoba, so can I use artificial lighting for it?

Hi Maggie,

Your Yucca is in poor condition, so moving it to a larger pot now is the worst thing you can do to it. No need to worry about some exposed roots at the surface as they have already healed over.

Fertilizing is also inappropriate as it is intended only for healthy plants that are growing vigorously. Fertilizer is not medicine.

All your Yucca requires is lots of direct sunlight and water as soon as the top inch of soil is dry. You must be satisfied that that is all you can do. It will take a while for recovery to begin, but it cannot be rushed.

Artificial light as a supplement to natural light is okay, but is not adequate by itself.

I have written an article on Yucca care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and nomination for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College