House Plants/Rubber tree

My rubber tree is 20+ years old She is variegated and has always been indoors. She fills my entire sliding door area. she is healthy gets fertilized through the spring with Miracle Gro and this year she started a whole new branch, the question I have is that this new branch is all green no varigation. what caused this?

Hi Shari,

New growth on variegated plants may revert unexpectedly to all-green at any time. This is particularly true with hybrids, which yours probably is. In addition, variegated plants require more light than all-green varieties. It is possible that your Rubber Tree just doesn't have quite enough light to continue to push out variegated new growth. Although increasing the light might encourage continued variegated new growth, it is unlikely. In other words, there is not much you can do about this as it is mostly a genetic issue.

If you feel the all-green stem spoils the appearance of the plant, you can cut off that branch without harm to the remainder of the tree.

I have written detailed articles on pruning and on Rubber Tree care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College