House Plants/Rubber Tree Plant

Question
QUESTION: Hello! My name is Elizabeth, I have a beautiful, full, bright green Rubber Tree plant which is growing like crazy!!!  I love it! I just would really like to know what the red, elongated buds are that grow out of the stem of each leaf?  Do I let them grow or prune?  Thank you, in advance, for any info!

Peace! E

ANSWER: Hi Elizabeth,

Those reddish buds are new leaves that will slowly unfurl and turn green like the other leaves. You would prune them off only if you want that stem to stop growing.

I have written detailed articles on pruning and on Rubber Tree care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

QUESTION: Hi, Will! Thanks for your reply-I appreciate your time and willingness to help! But it's not what I needed know.  Maybe my tree isn't a rubber tree.  There are red, elongated leaf/ bulbs which open, just partially, inside is a white pistil.  These red bulbs are about five inches long and emanate from the stem of the leaves.  Is there anyway I can send a photo?

Answer
Hi Elizabeth,

Improper identification of plants is a common problem. Yet, proper ID is the starting point for answering any plant-related question. Proper use of terminology is also important. Buds, bulbs, leaves and pistils are all very distinct plant parts, so I cannot understand what it is you are describing.

It is possible to post photos on this site along with your question. If you are unable to do that, then email me a photo at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. The photo should be clear, taken in good light and show the entire plant, including the pot.

I look forward to seeing what you have and helping you properly.

~Will

House Plants

Will Creed