House Plants/Tropical Plant

Kelli\'s Plant
Kelli's Plant  
I had a tropical plant given to me, I have nursed it back from almost death...but have no idea what kind of plant it is or the best lighting etc...and then these started growing out of it (see attached picture) I have had this plant for a year and have never seen it do this..please help me :)

Your plant is a Dracaena fragrans, commonly known at a corn plant and the thing growing out of it is a flower stalk. You are obviously doing something right because it is fairly uncommon for them to bloom. To keep it blooming every year you will need to keep it rootbound. It likes bright light but no direct sun, about 4 feet from a south facing window or near a north window is perfect.

You will find more care info at:

If you have more questions feel free to write again. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.