House Plants/Yellowing leaves

Spider Plant
Spider Plant  
I have a spider plant that has been outside on my porch all summer. I brought it back into the house as it is getting colder out side. The leaves are turning yellow! It rained before I brought it in so it has plenty of water. Why are leaves turning yellow?
I live in East TX.
Thanks for any advice.

Hi Esperanza,

I know it is a common practice to summer houseplants outdoors, but I don't usually recommend it. The intensity of light outdoors is many times greater than indoor sunlight. Plants struggle to adapt to big changes in light.  That is what is happening with yours. The leaves that are adapted to outdoor light are now slowly dying. However, they will be replaced by smaller, greener new leaves that will be adapted to the reduced indoor light. Of course, after it makes this adaptation, it will have to do so all over again if you move it outside next spring.

Keep your Spider Plant in your sunniest indoor location and be careful not to over water. Remove older leaves as they start to yellow because they will never regain their healthy green color.

I have written an article on moving plants outside that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College