House Plants/2.5 qt Alberta spruce holiday

Just got from lowes 12/8/2013. Not sure if I need to water now, and how much. I bought a special Christmas tree life nutrient, it states 2 table spoons per gallon of water. Hope to plant n spring, have a fake Christmas tree, had it for a while, just wanted the place to " smell Christmasy" :) please help!

Proper watering care for your Dwf Alberta Spruce while it is inside is similar to most indoor potted plants...Water your plant based on how much it weighs when thoroughly watered VS when they are ready to be watered again. Plants die from too frequent waterings (or going too long in between waterings), not from how much water you give them at one time. Pick the pot up and feel how heavy it is after watering it thoroughly. Don't water it again until it feels considerably lighter and the top of the soil is light in color. Depending on plant types, sunlight exposure and pot size plants will need water at many different rates from once a day to once a month or more.
If your special Christmas tree life nutrient is for cut trees don't use it on your potted tree...Get to a local garden center and buy a good indoor plant fertilizer (like Miracle Grow -indoor or what ever they recommend)and read the directions before applying it...Plants do need to be fertilized every month or so to stay healthy...Give your tree a good light exposure...
Hope this helps...

Good luck
Rick in southern NJ  

House Plants

Richard Hern

I can answer many common garden center/greenhouse houseplant questions such as , proper care, propagation of, pest problems, identification, growing mediums, construction, etc. & many more..

I currently manage a private 16 acre estate. i am in charge of the general maintenance of buildings and i supervise the landscape maintenance staff. i teach landscape/horticulture evening classes for a community college in NJ. I taught landscape/horticultural classes for a NJ vocational high school for 5 years. prior to that I owned & operated a landscape/garden center facility for 20 + years. My experience is in commercial & residential sales & care of houseplants as well as landscaping.

BS degree in Zoology (Entomology)
Certified landscape/horticulture teacher NJ