House Plants/night jasmine flower

hi,I want to know how to take care of jasmine or night jasmine plant in a container,thanks

Hi Kelly,

Cestrum nocturnum is the botanical name for Night-blooming Jasmine or Jessamine. It is not easy to get it to bloom indoors.

It must be potbound to bloom, so avoid repotting.

It requires lots of direct indoor sunlight so keep it on a sunny windowsill.

Allow the top quarter of the soil to dry before watering thoroughly.

Fertilize very sparingly.

Flowers will emerge only only on hardened stem growth.

After flowering, prune back the stems to just above where the lowest flowers were attached.  Regular pruning is necessary for frequent flowering.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to  

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College