House Plants/planting christmas cactus together

Question
hi will,  I have about 5 small Christmas cactus in 3in pots (couldn't stop at color). Can I put then in one larger pot?  maybe a hanging one? if I can, should I plant them after they bloom?   thank-you  Kim

Answer
Hi Kim,

Christmas cacti bloom best when kept very tightly potted. If you put them all together in a larger pot, you will have to add soil in the bottom and in the spaces between the rootballs. That added soil will cause the individual root systems to put their energy into filling the added soil with new roots. This will be at the expense of vigorous new foliage growth and flower development. In addition, the added soil changes the watering dynamics and makes it much easier to inadvertently over water. I am not saying you cannot do this, but it is very risky.

An alternative is to keep the plants in their existing small pots and put those pots together inside a larger pot, filling the spaces between the pots with sphagnum moss. This will keep the individual root systems intact and will allow you to water each plant individually.

In either case, I recommend leaving them as is until they have finished flowering.

I have written detailed articles on repotting and on Christmas Cactus care that I will email for free to you (or anyone else) who emails a request to me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com. I have also written an indoor plant care book in a PDF format that I can sell you if you contact me at my email address.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:
A link to HorticulturalHelp.com

or email me at wcreed@HorticulturalHelp.com or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)

Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my website at: A link to HorticulturalHelp.com  

House Plants

Will Creed