House Plants/Castanospermum(Lucky Bean Plant)

My daughter bought this for me for Christmas- I love it!!! When I researched the plant , I found the beans are toxic to animals, kids,but my question is- the beans are now as big as a silver dollar- when I re-pot this should I remove them- and will they produce another plant? My plant has done so beautifully, it's bloomed another layer of branches and leaves above the original in just a short time. Please advise me on what may be done with them. I thank you for your time and love this site. Keep well, God bless. I don't have a picture yet.

What looks like 2 beans is actually 2 halves of 1 bean and the plant is still feeding off of them. They will gradually just shrivel and disappear. You can bury them a bit deeper when you repot it if you want or when they have shriveled down to navy bean size you can clip them off. They will not grow new plants. You may eventually be able to start new plants from cuttings of the original but I can't guarantee it because I have not tried it. Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.