House Plants/Desert Rose

I can't get it to do anything it bloomed once when I got it .It's3years old and not very big I transplanted it  now it's in a6' pot it's about 9' tall buy i keep losing  leaves .It is in the south window, but my coal stove is not far from the window can that have anything to do with it? Although my other plants are doing wonderful.Oh I water the DESERT ROSE twice a month.

Hi June,

It sounds like you know how to care for plants, but Desert Rose has some special requirements that you may not be aware of.

Desert Rose (Adenium obesum) must be in direct sun all year round if you want it to flower. That pretty much limits it to an uncovered, unobstructed south-facing window.

In winter, Desert Rose has a dormant period during which it should be allowed to dry completely and kept in cool temps (55 to 60 degrees). It will shed most of its leaves during dormancy so donít be alarmed. In the spring, resume normal watering and fertilize sparingly. Flowers usually appear in April and again in September. In late fall, as the light decreases, leaves will start to drop. That is a signal that it is going into its dormant period.

It is the fall/winter dormant period that most people are not aware of and have difficulty managing. Unfortunately, we are so deep into winter that it is probably too late for your Desert Rose to bloom this year. But at least you will know what to do next fall.

BTW, it is also important to keep it potbound, so resist the urge to repot it again.

Please let me know if any of this is unclear or if you have any additional questions.

If this information has been helpful, please click the Rate Volunteer bar below
and enter a rating and NOMINATION for me. I am a volunteer on this site so
Ratings are the only compensation I receive for answering plant questions.

Need more information? Visit my website at:

A link to

or email me at or call me at 917-887-8601 (EST)
Will Creed, Interior Landscaper
Horticultural Help, NYC

Visit my
website at:†<a href="">A
link to</a>

House Plants

Will Creed

I am the only expert in this category with professional hands-on experience and knowledge of all indoor plants. I can answer questions regarding light, water, fertilizer, repotting, pruning and humidity and temperature requirements. I can identify plant pests and provide information on safe, effective treatments. My answers are based on 35 years of professional experience and scientific research and are clear and easy to understand. I do NOT use search engines to find answers to your questions. If you read my previous posts here, you will get a good idea as to how thorough and professional my answers are.

I have over 35 years of professional indoor landscaping experience caring for plants in homes, offices, building lobbies, stores, restaurants, and other adverse environments. I have written extensively on the care of indoor plants, including a 260 page book. My specialties include Ficus trees, low light plants, repotting, pest control, and re-blooming holiday plants. Be sure to check my ratings and nominations to learn why I am the top-rated indoor plant expert. I am the only House Plant expert consistently ranked in the AllExperts Top 20.

BA, Amherst College