House Plants/ID of flower

Do you know what this flower is? It bloomed last spring and after the blossom was finished, a new branch was formed.

Thanks, Tina

It is very hard to tell with only a picture of the flower. I really need to see a picture of the plant also. It could be some kind of orchid, it could be a Tigrida or it could be a neomarica. I will consult a friend with your picture and see if he knows. I do not believe that it is a house plant, it is probably a bulb. If you can send me a picture of the plant please do. I will let you know if Ed knows what it is. Good luck!

QUESTION: Hi Darlene,
Here is a picture of the entire plant. See the branch from the blossom. I got this plant at a yard sale a couple of years ago and the person did not know what it was.

Thanks, Tina

I consulted my friend Ed and he determined that it is a type of Iris. I suspect it is a tropical iris such as Neomarica and Dietes and there are many other rarer ones but I have not been able to locate any thru Google or other search engines with flowers that look exactly like yours. Yours could be a hybrid of 2 kinds. It is lovely. You might try to locate an Iris hybridizer who might know more. It does look like it could stand to be divided into 2 smaller pots this spring. If you have more questions I will try to help! Good luck!

House Plants

Darlene K. Kittle

I have been an Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years and I raise around 300 houseplants and bonsai trees a year including tropicals, succulents, and cacti. I have also been a professional plant care person for businesses in the Fort Wayne, IN area and currently professionally care for bonsai trees for my customers.

I am also studying the Japanese art of bonsai with tropical plants and is President of the Fort Wayne, IN Bonsai Club.

Fort Wayne, iN Master Gardeners. President of the Fort Wayne Bonsai Club. Allen County Master Gardeners

I am not a hortculturist. I am a Purdue University Advanced Master Gardener for 24 years. I have studied plants on a personal level by growing hundreds of plants annually for the last 35 years. I have also studied under several nationally known American Bonsai experts.